Sunday, December 20, 2015

Sent: Jesus is God with us December 20, 2015 Reinbeck UMC

Sent: Jesus is God with us
December 20, 2015
Reinbeck UMC

·         On a cold November night in 1984, Robyn and I went to Ball Memorial Hospital in Muncie, Indiana to have our first child. Everything seemed like it was going well, so I went to move the car from the ER lot to the regular parking lot. I was no particular hurry.
As I returned to the labor and delivery floor, however, the elevator door to opened and I was assaulted by a nurse in full-blown emergency mode. Pushing papers in my face and telling me they need to take Robyn to surgery immediately. I discovered that the baby’s condition was compromised and they needed to do an emergency c-section. There was a flurry of activity and they whisked Robyn off to surgery.
I was young, scared for my wife and unborn child, and alone. I made some phone calls to family and church friends and waited, and waited, and waited. I knew from Lamaze class that they could have a baby out in like 4 minutes. But time dragged on 30 minutes…an hour …an hour and a half…and I was quite stressed.
While I sat in that little waiting room, the cleaning woman came through. We visited casually and I shared what was happening. She did her dusting and cleaning and then did something surprising. She sat down with me. We continued to visit off and on but mostly she just sat. It wasn’t until after it was all over, and I knew Robyn was OK, and Amber was safe, and I was on my way home that I gave a second thought to the cleaning woman.
She didn’t try to make it all better. She didn’t have any magic answers. She didn’t know the future. But she was there. She made me feel less alone and less afraid. Just being with me was enough.
I have wondered through the years if she was an angel. I suppose even if she wasn’t the heavenly kind of angel, her presence was certainly a message of God’s grace. Because she was there, I knew that God was with me, and God was with Robyn, and God was with Amber. Emmanuel; God with us.

·         Fast forward several years. A 10:30 pm call is never good at a pastor’s house. This was one of those calls. A young woman from the Musserville church had just given birth, and the baby was dead. They asked me to come over to the hospital and baptize the baby. (Now we know that God is gracious and loving and the baptism was more for the parents comfort than anything else, but in those moments one doesn’t quibble over sacramental theology.) I arrived at the hospital and found their room dark and quiet with lullabies playing on the CD player. I went in and they handed me the child. I held their lifeless baby in my arms and baptized her. And we just sat there. I held her. They held her. We didn’t say much. We just sat there in the dark quiet of the hospital room.
I knew there were no more words to say. I knew they didn’t need words. They didn’t need me to DO anything else. They just needed someone to BE with them. In that moment we experienced Emmanuel; God with us.

·         Fast forward a few more years. I left the ministry 21 years ago next month. Never thought I would be back. In 2002, Amber was going on a mission trip and at the last minute, I went to help. We went to United Methodist campground in Colorado. Over the course of the week, since I was still ordained, I lead a couple of worship services and presided over communion, but mostly I spent a lot of time hanging out with the youth. On the way home, several of them cornered me. We all knew their current youth leader wanted to retire, but they hadn’t found a replacement. They cornered me and asked me if I would be their next youth leader. I turned them down flat.
 “Something” kept working on me, though. And I kept resisting. One day in November or December that same “something” got me up off the couch and I went in to tell Robyn I was going to inquire about that youth job at Asbury. It was the last thing I wanted to do. I had resisted it and ignored it. But I couldn’t deny it any longer. 2 months later, I was standing in front of those same youth who cornered me on the mission trip, introducing myself as their new youth pastor. It wasn’t because I wanted to, not because the kids wanted me to, but because in my deepest times of doubt and denial I was still not alone. God was still working in me. Even when I didn’t want him, God was with me; Emmanuel.

·         Fast forward a few more years. I was on retreat this last fall. I had just finished the 5-day Academy of Spiritual Formation. I was at Beads lake State park sitting on a bench near the lake. (Silly me, I forgot to take my fishing role with me) The sun was shimmering across the water; the breeze was blowing in my face. The only sound besides the wind was the geese squawking on the west end of the lake. Suddenly and unmistakably, an overwhelming peaceful assurance came over me. I just felt it. A very strong sense of wholeness. A sense of being enveloped in warmth and light. I can’t describe it any better than that. But it was a very palpable reminder that I was not alone. I am never alone. Because no matter where I am, no matter what I am doing, there is Emmanuel; God with me.

I could go on and on telling stories of Emmanuel; God with us.
How does this work?… well very smart people have worked for 2000 years to explain Emmanuel God presence and power with us. Let me sum up the best answer we have. How can I simplify this so you will all understand? Are you ready to take notes? Get your pencil and get ready to write it down. Are you ready? Here we go. “We don’t know.” Yea that is the best answer of how God is with us. If anyone tells you otherwise, they are trying to pull the wool over your eyes. There is no understanding how Emmanuel; God with us works. The important thing is that it does.

And that shouldn’t surprise you.
·         Today’s scripture affirms the promise first made by the prophet Isaiah, “Look, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall name him Emmanuel, ”which means, “God is with us.”[i]
·         Jesus said, “I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, to be with you forever. This is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, because he abides with you, and he will be in you.”[ii]
·         Jesus says, “I will be with you always to the ends of the earth.”[iii]
·         Paul writes, “The Spirit of God bears witness with our spirits that we are children of God.[iv]
Scripture is very clear that God is Emmanuel; God with us, and we should not be surprised. God with us is very special, but it is not a surprise.
·         It is not that God knows ABOUT us like the IRS knows about us. No God is Emmanuel, God with us.
·         It is not that God is just near us, like strangers on an elevator. They are near each other, but not with one another. No, God is Emmanuel, God with us.
·         It is not that God is watching us at a distance, like Santa Clause or a traffic camera. No God is Emmanuel, God with us.
·         It is not that God solves all our problems, or even protects us from the struggles of life. No but God walks though our deepest struggles with us. “Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for thou art with me.” [v] God is Emmanuel, God with us.
No matter what… no matter when... no matter how hard things are, or how great they are, God is Emmanuel, God with us.
It should not be any surprise to anyone who has read the Bible or been around the church that Jesus is called Emmanuel; God with us. Yet it is. Maybe it is just me, but it always surprises me when I become powerfully aware of God with me. Does it surprise you? It isn’t that I don’t want it or expect it, or know in my head that God is with me, but I don’t always feel it. In those moments when Emmanuel is palpably, and undeniably present I always find myself awed and a little surprised.

This week I bring to you the message that God sent Jesus to be God with us. AND not only did God send Jesus to be Emmanuel; God with us. Jesus sends us to be vessels for Emmanuel; God with others. We are sent to be the hands and feet that make God’s presence real to a world that is not expecting it.
·         We have done that. We sent almost $1200 worth of cash and gifts to the Christmas in Grundy event last weekend. And we had volunteers at the event. Did we preach Jesus to everyone that walked through the door? No. But to that father who felt like a failure because he had to take the money he had saved to buy a gift for his son and give it to the electric company so they wouldn’t shut off his power, it made all the difference that by our gifts, money, and presence, we were with him that morning. We didn’t solve all of his problems. But we were God’s hands and feet quietly walking with him, helping him to not feel alone, and not feel like he failed his little boy.
We are the hands and feet that make God’s presence real to a world that is not expecting it.
·         We did that when Sarah Circle bought a hand full of Trunck’s gift cards for Edie to give to anyone whom she thought needed one. No strings attached. Not solving all their problems. Not preaching at them about whether they bought potatoes or potato chips, but just coming along side them with a gift card that says someone cares because of Jesus. One woman with tears in her eyes, said something like, “Do you know how long it has been since someone has given me a gift?”
We are the hands and feet that make God’s presence real to a world that is not expecting it.
·         We do that. I was giving a ride to a woman a while back. Something Pat organizes whenever there is a need and we are able to find a driver. I picked this woman up from the cancer center. Stopped by Trunk’s and picked up a few things for her, and helped her get them up the steps into her kitchen. She turned to me with tears in her eyes and asked, “Why do you do this for me?” I told her simply because Jesus loves you, and I am trying to be his hands and feet. She cried and hugged me. I hadn’t cured her cancer. I didn’t fix her financial problems. I just walked with her for an hour being Jesus hands and feet, Emmanuel; God with her.
We are the hands and feet that make God’s presence real to a world that is not expecting it.
·         When you go to a funeral visitation, it is always hard to know what to say, isn’t it? Everything seems so inadequate, or trite, or could be taken the wrong way. But you know what? The point of that time is not what you say, but that you are there. You can’t fix it. You probably can’t make the hurt go away. But you can just be there to walk with them in grief for a moment. And then hopefully being there to walk with them in their grief a month later, and 6 months later makes all the difference in the world. It is your opportunity to be God’s hands and feet in this world.
We are the hands and feet that make God’s presence real to a world that is not expecting it.
·         It is the bread and the juice that are important in communion? No, it is the real presence of Christ. Emmanuel; God with us.
·         Is it the water that is important in baptism? No, it is the real power of the Holy Spirit at changing lives. Emmanuel; God with us.
·         Is it really the box of trinkets that makes an OPERATION CHRISTMAS CHILD box so magical? No, it is knowing that someone somewhere cared, even if for just a moment, and even from 10,000 miles away, they cared enough to pack a box because they love Jesus. Emmanuel; God with them.
·         It wasn’t the ham dinner that made the thank you dinner to the GR staff the highlight of their week. It is knowing that some people from the church appreciate them enough to invite them in and share a meal with them. To walk with them as “God with them” for just an hour one night. Emmanuel; God with them.
·         The youth mission trip fundraisers are not about money (well they are, but more importantly) they are an opportunity for each of us to walk with the youth for just a few minutes. You might not have the privilege of going to camp with them. (I wish every one of you could just once) But you can be Emmanuel to them by making a donation, or writing them a note, or patting them on the back. Or just saying thank you. It is not about what you do, it is letting the light shine through you Emmanuel: God with them.
·         It is not whether a Christmas program goes smoothly that matters, it is the love of the leaders, the joy of the kids telling the story, and that magical moment when they held hands and prayed before they came into the sanctuary. That is the church being Emmanuel to those children and their parents. Emmanuel; God with them.
I could go on and on.

But my point is, you are all ministers. It is not hard. It is not complicated. You don’t need a degree or an ordination to do it. You just need to personally experience Emmanuel, God with you… and then go to be Emmanuel to a neighbor, a friend, or a stranger. Then you are in ministry.
·         This is what we are talking about when we say on the bulletin covers the ministers are the entire congregation. The entire congregation being Emmanuel to everyone we see.
·         This is that the leadership team is talking about when they say set the goal for 2016 that every person will be in ministry. Every person being Emmanuel; God with us to someone else.

The Christmas message is that Jesus was sent to be Emmanuel, God with us. I pray that in worship, in devotions, in caroling, is something you do this season, that you will experience the surprising power of Emmanuel God with you.
And when you experience it, may your heart overflow with the desire to share Emmanuel. To be Emmanuel. To be Emmanuel God with us for everyone you meet.
·         Sit here and experience Emmanuel God: with you.
·         Go be Emmanuel to someone every day.



[i] Matthew 1:23 from Isaiah 7:14
[ii] John 14:16-17
[iii] Matthew 28:20
[iv] Romans 8:16
[v] Psalm 23

No comments:

Post a Comment