Sunday, April 8, 2018

The faith of doubting Thomas--- confirmation sermon

Sunday Confirmation 2018
RUMC 4/8/18

Poor Thomas.  We have given him such a bum rap over the years.  We’ve placed him in the disciple hierarchy somewhere just barely above Judas and just below the disciples whose names we can’t remember—Thaddeus and Bartholomew and what’s-his-name. There are even videos and children’s stories that encourage kids not to be like Thomas. I feel bad for the guy. He’s endured a centuries-long shaming.
The Sunday after Easter is traditionally the day we read what we usually call the “Doubting Thomas” story.  I was drawn to that because I have to admit I have always felt an affinity to Thomas. I have always connected with Thomas because I think Thomas is the patron apostle for all the imperfect people who seriously search and yearn for a personal experience of Christ. The more I studied, the more I thought, in spite of his negative name, Thomas is really is a good model of discipleship for Sylvana on her confirmation Sunday and honestly for all of us.

 I have known Sylvana for about half her life, watched her grow up in the faith, and I relish in the opportunity to confirm her today.  I have felt a special connection to her because of something she did several years ago, and she doesn’t even remember doing it. After LIGHT one night, and it had been a particularly hard day, I found this note from her on the altar rail.  Obviously, it meant a lot to me because as you can see I keep it taped to my computer monitor.  To me it is not really about Sylvana, but about reminding me that what I do makes a difference even if I don’t always know it. But, of course in my heart Sylvana’s name will always be attached to that important reminder.


Thomas appears in scripture three times. All in the Gospel of John.  John 11, John 14, and John 20. I get the feeling that Thomas was a cautions person.  I think his mom was probably the type to ask, “If all your friends were jumping off the bridge would you jump too?” Looking at his whole story recorded in scripture, and the legends that surround his character, I think he was the kind that considered carefully before he jumped in to something.  In each of these three stories, however, Thomas makes the leap of faith in just a little different way.
Let’s take them one at a time. 
 You will find John 11 starts on page 104 of the New Testament in your pew Bible. We are reading the story about Lazarus’ death. 
In verse 7 upon hearing that Lazarus was sick Jesus waited two days. Then suddenly Jesus said, “OK let’s go to Judea.” The disciples replied, “Rabbi, the Jews were just now trying to stone you, and are you going there again?”   In other words, “You would have to be crazy to go back there.”  Jesus started to teach. You can follow along with me starting in verse 9
“Are there not twelve hours of daylight? Those who walk during the day do not stumble, because they see the light of this world.  But those who walk at night stumble, because the light is not in them.”
 In other words, if you are doing what is right and walking in the light you have nothing to fear.
When Thomas heard that, he took his first leap of faith in verse 16
“Let us also go, that we may die with him.”  The first quality of Christian discipleship Thomas models an active faith.
We can all learn a lesson from that. If it is the right thing to do, then the right response for a Christian disciple is not, “No I can’t.”  “No, I’m busy.”  “No, I’ve done my part.” Even just “No, I don’t want to.”  There is a growing idea around here that it is OK to say no to everything because someone else will do it. The pastor, the leadership team, someone… anyone else can do it, but don’t ask me to do anything. But that’s not what discipleship is. 
Thomas’s answer was not “let someone else do it.” Thomas teaches us that the disciple’s response to Jesus call is “let’s do it.” The disciple’s response when there is ministry to do is “where do I sign up?”  The disciple’s response when there is a risk to be taken, or a sacrifice to be made for the sake of Jesus and the kingdom is “let’s go so we can die with him…” or in our culture and this church we can translate that into , “Let’s do it because that’s what Jesus would do.”
I think we can learn something from Thomas:  that discipleship is not a spectator sport.  It requires real personal investment of our time, our gifts, and in extreme cases, our lives. Maybe we should change his name from doubting Thomas, to “Active Thomas.” Because he believed in discipleship in action.

 The second Thomas story is in John 14.  You can find that on in your pew Bible on page 108. We start reading at the beginning of the chapter.
             “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Believe in God, believe also in me.  In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, so that where I am, there you may be also.  And you know the way to the place where I am going.”
All the rest of the disciples are looking at each other saying, “Do you know where he is going?” or “What’s he talking about?”  And Thomas pipes up.  “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?”
Which sets Jesus up to say, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life.”
Just like Thomas is a model for discipleship in action, he also a model of growing discipleship. Thomas is a learner.  He wanted to understand.  He wasn’t afraid to ask questions.
Sylvana is great at that. She has asked some of the hardest questions in Faith Xploration class, but I wish more people were like that. She really wants to understand, and she really wants to grow. Please don’t lose that, Sylvana.
Thomas teaches us that disciples are learners. We are always students of the faith. None of us are masters.  And it is OK to ask questions even if there is no real answer available. Don’t be content with what you know now about discipleship the Bible, the faith, or the world. Disciples are always growing, always learning,   always trying to understand God better. Maybe we should rename Doubting Thomas “Growing Thomas. “Because he believed in discipleship that was always growing.

 So, studying Thomas we have seen that Thomas is a model for active discipleship and growing discipleship.
Then here in John 20 is the story we read today and the story for which Thomas is best known.  It so happened that Thomas was not with the disciples when Jesus appeared to them the first time. We don’t know where he was. That sounds like something I would do; step out to the restroom just in time to miss the biggest event of the day. You know, “a day late and a dollar short.”
When he does return, the other disciples are excited about what they experienced and tell him that he missed it!  Jesus was here! 
Thomas response is perfectly understandable. “I want to experience that too.” He only wanted the same spiritual experience that the other 10 disciples had. They stood face to face with Jesus, and he wanted the same experience. 
He didn’t say, as some read it, “I don’t believe you.”  The word translated “believe” in this passage might also be translated understand or comprehend.  I really don’t think there was a problem with what Thomas believed, the issue was comprehending what had happened. And why not?  He knew Jesus died. Dead people, as a general rule, do not get up and appear to their friends in bodily form after they have been dead and buried.
Thomas teaches us that a discipleship requires a personal relationship with Jesus. A relationship with Jesus that is personally experienced.  When Jesus did appear to him, on the following Sunday night, what was his response?  “My Lord and My God!” No hesitation. NO doubt. No second thoughts. He just wanted to experience Jesus for himself.
Thomas teaches us that there is no second hand discipleship. Disciples can’t be content with the stories others tell. They can’t be content with standing on the sidelines and watching. They can’t be content with hearing about the spiritual experiences of others. Disciples must have a real personal relationship with Christ.
Perhaps instead of doubting Thomas we should rename him Real Thomas because he believed so deeply and he yearned for his own REAL personal encounter with the risen Christ.

Thomas teaches us that our discipleship should be active, growing and real.  And that is the kind of faith I have tried to teach you Sylvana. I think you get it. You have some growing to do. So do I and so do all the rest of these folks.  But shortly, we will vow to help you grow. And we will undoubtedly also learn from you as we continue on our discipleship journey together.
 Faith is hard. We talk about taking a leap of faith. There is something to be said for that image.  But to tell you the truth, we don’t really leap into the unknown. Jesus has made the way for us. The leap of faith is not so much a leap as it is a step. Taking the hand of Jesus and stepping out to a faith that is active, growing, and real. Discipleship is taking the hand of Jesus every day of our lives and taking that step every day of our lives. 


I want in invite Sylvana to come up front as she leads us all in taking Jesus hand and stepping into a faith that is active, growing and real.

No comments:

Post a Comment