Saturday, December 3, 2011

“An Amazing Response to an Amazing Visitor” RUMC- 12/4/1011




In the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent by God to a town in Galilee called Nazareth, to a virgin engaged to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David.  The virgin's name was Mary.  And he came to her and said, "Greetings, favored one! The Lord is with you."  But she was much perplexed by his words and pondered what sort of greeting this might be.  The angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God.  And now, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you will name him Jesus.  He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Most High, and the Lord God will give to him the throne of his ancestor David.  He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end." 
Mary Said Wohoo!!  That means I’ll get a long weekend (unless Christmas lands on Saturday or Sunday!)  I’ll receive lots of gifts.  I’ll get to enjoy the black Friday shopping and maybe get some great deals.  I wonder if my credit card has a high enough balance.  Maybe I had better ask to have it increased just in case. 
Can you picture Mary sating; I can’t wait until Halloween is over so I can get a tree and get it decorated.  Maybe one of those pretty pink flocked trees.  Oh, Oh, and a blow up snowman in the front yard.  (I’m not sure what a snowman is, but I have to have one to go with my reindeer.)
And the food.  Let’s see. I’ll make 7 kinds of candy, no 8 I can’t forget the divinity.  And deserts and more deserts, but no fruit cakes.  Ick!  Oh I wonder if Joseph’s parents will come over for dinner.  Maybe I had better get an extra table from the synagogue just in case.  Oh, there is so much to do.  I am so happy. The family, the lights, the bells, the gifts-- oh yea the gifts that’s what Christmas is all about.  Thanks Angel.  I have to go get ready now.

Of course that is NOT the way Mary responded.  But that is exactly  my point.  There are so many distractions, detours and diversions in our Christmas celebration that sometimes we find it hard to get to Christmas.  The young woman impregnated by the Holy Spirit, is not nearly showy enough for today’s Christmas.  The Son of God born in a stable interferes with our self-gratifying consumer driven shopping orgy.  The animals and shepherds just make too big of a mess this time of year.
I hate to intrude on your celebration of Christmas, whether it is consumer driven, family driven, nostalgia driven, or exhaustion driven; but I have to point out that most of us completely miss the point.  Christmas has to go deeper than gifts and shopping.  We have to get deeper than family.  We have to get deeper than white Christmas and frosty the snowman.        We have to get beyond the glitter, beyond the glow.  Christmas at its root is a spiritual thing.  It is a message for your soul and your spirit.  Let us get beyond all the extras and get to the spiritual heart of the incarnation of God coming for our salvation.

I think Mary’s response to the angel’s visitation is instructive.  Immediately she says "Here am I, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word."  There are three things I see just in this sentence that I want to share with you.
First, Mary believed.  How many of us, if we saw an angel and received a message that we were to have a child and he would be the savior of the world, would rub our eyes and shake our heads.  We would think we were hallucinating.  We would check to see if someone spiked our diet Pepsi wouldn’t we?
I suspect we would try almost any explanation before we believed what we had seen and heard.  Not Mary.  Mary just believed.  Do you know what that is called . . .  faith.  Mary responded with faith. 
Christmas is first and foremost a season of faith.  The fundamental question of Christmas is not what am I going to get, or can I squeeze one more gift out of my bank account.  The fundamental question of Christmas is do you believe?  Do you have faith?  Do you believe that Jesus really is the son of God?
If we don’t believe that Jesus is the son of God then the whole celebration is a sham. 
Without faith in Jesus as the incarnation of God himself, Christmas is nothing more than the festival of selfishness that Target or Wal-Mart says it is.
This faith is foundational to Christianity.  Without faith in Jesus as the only begotten son of God, there is nothing else.  There is no Christmas.  There is no Easter.  There is no church and there is no salvation.
Christmas is first and foremost a festival of faith.

The second lesson I see is Mary’s response is her humble worship of God.   Mary knows right off the bat that this is not about her.  She could have said, “How lucky am I.”  “How wonderful am I.”  “Look at me, the mother of God.”  But she doesn’t. She names herself as a SERVANT of the Lord. Later with Elizabeth, she sings "My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has looked with favor on the lowliness of his servant.”
Mary has no illusion about her greatness. She makes no mistake thinking that this is about her purity.  This is not about her worthiness. Mary knows that she is in need of a savior just as much as the rest of us. She knows this is about her salvation.  She says, “my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.”  This is about the fact that God, the only magnificent God beside whom none can stand, has given her a savior- and placed him in her womb.  Because of that she rejoiced- she magnified God, she gave glory to God, she worshipped God and gave all the praise and recognition to God.
We too  can rejoice at Christmas because God, the only magnificent God beside whom none can stand, has given us a savior, and placed him in our hearts.  That is what Christmas is about.  It is about humbly magnifying God, giving glory to God, worshipping God and giving all the praise and recognition to God.
Christmas is not about us, it is about God, and we need to approach it with humility and awe.

First we have faith in Jesus Christ as God’s son. 
Second we know that God sent Jesus for our salvation and we are to respond in humble awe.   
Finally, Mary had no illusion that she could return to the way things were. In that moment, in the blink of an eye her whole life had changed. .  Besides the fact that babies change everything, she was a 13 or 14 year old mother- had a fiancé who was not the father, and she having a  baby in a strange city in a stable. Life doesn’t get any more upside-down than that! 
 You know Christmas really messes up our December too.  Christmas often falls during the middle of the week, there are extra worship services, extra company, extra shopping, extra expenses, extra obligations, our regular songs aren’t on the radio, we have to find room for a tree in the family room, we have to put away the regular nick-knacks and get out the Christmas decorations.  Christmas just turns everything upside-down. 
Not just Mary’s life, and not just our Decembers.  Christmas changes the whole world.  Mary knew that when she sang,
He has shown strength with his arm; he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts.  He has brought down the powerful from their thrones, and lifted up the lowly; he has filled the hungry with good things, and sent the rich away empty.”
The truth is that the changes in Mary’s life and our lives are nothing compared to the way Christmas changed the whole world. Human life would never be the same after that first Christmas.  I cannot even imagine what the world would be like without the presence and influence of the Christian Church.  I cannot imagine what life would be like without the promise that things can be different if we have faith.  I cannot imagine anything that has changed the world more than the birth of Jesus Christ. 
Yet, for many people Christmas comes and Christmas goes and we breathe a sigh of relief that things are back to “normal.” 
No!  Christmas shouldn’t just change a month.  It should change our lives.  At Christmas, we are celebrating the greatest event in all of history, the coming of God to the earth as one of us.  The incarnation of God to save sinful people from their sins.  How could life ever be the same?  How can we ever be the same?  No!  We should walk away from Christmas changed people ready to change the world for Jesus Christ.

I don’t know what I would do if an angel appeared to me, let alone what I would do with a message like Mary received.  I do know that Mary teaches us about the true spirit of Christmas.
·         A Spirit of faith
·         A spirit of humble awe
·         A spirit ready to be changed and to change the world.

What about you?  What kind of Spirit do you have this Christmas.  I am trying very hard not to be distracted or discouraged by the nonsense I see in the secular Christmas Binge. I hope you are too.
Remember :
A Spirit of faith
A spirit of humble awe
A spirit ready to be changed; and to change the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment