Saturday, September 3, 2011

Me and My Big Mouth #3 "speak no evil" Rev. Terry Plocher 9/4


Speak no evil
9/4/11

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never harm me.”  Did any of you ever chant that as a child?  Maybe followed by a sticking out your tongue at your assailant?  Maybe followed by running like the dickens to the back door of your house before they get their hands on you?
Growing up a nerd, I remember those days well.

The sticks and stones saying is a reflection of the common law that words do not rise to the level of legal assault.  That is true.  I think it neglects to consider the impact that words can have on us. 
·       A word might not break a bone but it can sure feel like someone has kicked you in the stomach.
·       A word might not blacken an eye, but have you ever noticed the eyes of a child when they are belittled or blown off by an adult they love and respect?
·       Words will not put us in a cast, but they can certainly immobilize people emotionally and spiritually.
In the first sermon in this series “Me and my big mouth,” Robyn described the power of the word of God and our words.  In last week’s message, she lifted up three stories and the promise that God will equip us with the right words when we need them.

Today she has asked me to preach about “speak no evil” do you suppose her choice of topics is trying to tell me something?  If you don’t already know it, I have to admit my mouth has gotten me into more trouble in my life than I care to think about.
·       I think about the look on Amber or Richie’s face when I would snap at them.
·       I think about all the customer service representatives upon whom I have unloaded.
·       I think about the things I have said that have hurt or embarrassed my wife or my family.
·       I think of the struggle I had disciplining my mouth when one day I was working on a construction site and the next I was hired to be a youth minister.
·       How many times have I said something and then wished for all the world that I could rewind time and do it all over again?
Do any of you know what I am talking about?  I suspect most of you do.

The Scriptures take very seriously the power of our words to hurt.
James 3:7 is one of my favorites All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles, and sea creatures are being tamed and have been tamed by mankind, but no human being can tame the tongue.  It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.”
Just a verse before James writes, “Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark.  The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body.  It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.”
(Slide 2)Those are some powerful words for an organ that weighs only about 6/100s of 1% of our body weight.  
The Scripture from Ephesians that we saw in the video a minute ago and is printed in your bulletin is a great example of the scriptural teaching about not speaking evil
(Slide 3)The first thing I noticed is how serious Paul is about this.  He groups lying and evil talk, and slander along with Anger, Stealing, and Grieving the H.S.  Jesus says being angry is the same as murder.  Murder and stealing are on God’s top ten list.  And Jesus identifies grieving the HS as an unforgivable sin!  Now tell me. How important is what we say? (click Slide)
We who would never  break a commandment… do so with our tongues without even a thought. 

So what can we do? 
(Slide 4) Most simply and fundamentally, do not allow your tongue to get you in trouble.  Did your mom or dad ever tell you to think before you speak?  Probably, but that is because it is good advice.  Before you speak.  Before you even take a breath in preparation to speak….Ask yourself these questions from our Ephesians passage.
(Slide 5)Is this the truth? - or like so much speech today is it a half-truth?  Is it an exaggeration?  Is it a caricature?  Is it misleading or deceptive?  ?  If so you would do well to remember Ecclesiastes says, “There is a time to speak and a time to keep silent”
·       (Slide 6)Then ask yourself if what you are about to say is useful.  There is an awful lot of useless talk today.  The 24-hour news cycle fills our ears with useless talk.  We are so accustomed to noise that as soon as there is silence we want to fill it with talk, even if it is useless.
This is where we ask ourselves if what we are saying is important enough to say.  Is it going to help anybody?  Build a relationship?  Shed light on who you are?  Answer a pertinent question?  Warn someone?  Teach something?  Further the conversation?
Or is it just yammering?  Puffing yourself up?  Putting someone down? Bringing attention to yourself or to someone else’s flaws unnecessarily?  That is useless talk. 
Are your words useful?  If not you would do well to remember Ecclesiastes says, “There is a time to speak and a time to keep silent”

·       (Slide 7)Are your words going to Build up or tear down?  If your words build a relationship, if they build love, or hope, or someone’s self esteem, if your words build a vision for what God can do or what God is doing.  How can your speech be wrong? 
Or are you building something negative?  Is it going to build hatred, misunderstanding, worry, hopelessness, bitterness, or anger?  Those words cannot be right.
It might not always be clear whether what you are going to say builds up, but it is usually pretty clear if it is going to tear down.  Is it going to damage a relationship, a reputation, a hope, a dream?  Is it going to tear down someone’s self-esteem, even your self-esteem?  Is it going to tear down hard work that someone has offered?  Is it going to belittle someone?  Is it going to make someone feel unimportant, or unloved, or unwanted?  If so you would do well to remember Ecclesiastes says, “There is a time to speak and a time to keep silent”
·                (Slide 8)Are your words filled with grace or something else?  Are your words a gift or a stab in the back?  Are your words graceful or judgmental?  I think this has to do with the motivation for our words.  Are they coming from a place of love, generosity, caring, hope, joy, truthfulness and a desire to be the best that God has made you, and give the best God has given you?
This is where we examine our own motivations and reasons for speaking.  Truthfulness, usefulness, and building up are objective.  They are happening outside of you and you are examining the nature of or the effect of your words. 
Asking if your words are graceful is an internal, subjective question.  Why am I saying this?  What do I hope to do?  Is this for me or for God?  Is this to build myself up at their expense or is this useful?  In your heart of hearts, are you speaking from a position of grace or a position judgment?

(Slide 9)
v Truth or lie?
v Useful or empty blather?
v Building up or tearing down?
v Graceful or judgmental?
Those are the criteria Paul gives us to measure our speech.

(Slide 10)
Finally, very briefly, Along with speak no evil I want to address what we hear.  Is there lots of evil, idle, mean spirited, hurtful talk out there?  You know there is.  Is there a lot of sinful talk out there?  Absolutely. 
Most of us have trouble controlling our own big mouths let alone others.  The truth is we can’t control other’s big mouths.
But if we willingly soak in everything we hear, the bad along with the good.  It will destroy us.
Proverbs 4:24 says “Put away from you crooked speech, and put devious talk far from you.
 This doesn’t mean we get to ignore the reality of the news around us.   
But it means that when someone starts speaking evil, we are to get out of the way.
When someone starts to speak in lies, we have to protect our hearts.
When someone starts to gossip, we are to run the other direction.
When someone starts to speak uselessly and destructively, we have permission to turn our back and walk away.  In fact, it is stronger than that-- we are commanded to put all that talk far from us.
Don’t participate.  Don’t let it get inside of you.  Because whatever you put in is what will eventually come out.  And then we are right back to the first part of the sermon.  The lies you listen to will work on you and will eventually come out.  The useless things you listen to will eventually come out.  Listen to things that tear down and you will be torn down.  Listen to things that build ugly walls and you will find yourself on the wrong side of the wall.  Listen to things that hurt you and you will be hurt.  Just put them off.  I know easier said than done.  But Don’t let it in you.  Just don’t.  

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words that come out of my mouth, and the words that go into my heart via my ears, can hurt me where no one else will ever know.  Speak no evil and hear no evil speaking.

AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment