Friday, August 19, 2011

THE SACRED ACRE: the Ed Thomas Story

It is not often that I have the opportunity to read an entire book in a day.  Being on retreat  gives me that opportunity.

In this case I am grateful.  I downloaded onto my Android Kindle THE SACRED ACRE:  the Ed Thomas story by Mark Tabb and Tony Dungy. (Zondervan 2011) I just completed reading it with tears in my eyes and hope in my heart.

One of my take away lines is "In a world filled with sin..acts of cruelty... do not take God by surprise."

The book paints a portrait of a Godly life well lived.  (I didn't know the coach, and can't judge its accuracy.)    It is a portrait not of a faith separated from real living as is so often the case.  This is a life where faith influences how we think, how we feel, and how we act.  Could God ask any more than that?

Read the book.  Ask yourself how your beliefs (faith) shape the say you think and respond to the events and relationships of your life.

1.  Ask does my faith shape my mind? How does it affect my understanding of the events of my life?  How does my faith shape my thought processes?  "Be ye transformed the the renewal of your mind"  (Ro. 12:2)

2. Ask yourself how those faith influenced thoughts influence how you feel about life.  How does my faith in God affect my heart?  How does my faith shape my feelings and emotions? "I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh." (Ez.36:26)  ":Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God." (Matthew 5:8)


3. Ask  yourself, how your faith (including your transformed mind and renewed heart) influence the way you treat others, think about others and even talk about others? " So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.' (Matthew 7:12) " Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." (I Cor. 13"4-7)


THE SACRED ACRE is inspiring, thought provoking, sad and maddening all at the same time.  I enjoyed it and recommend it to all of you.

tp

No comments:

Post a Comment