Monday, July 5, 2010

R&R

Annual conference was fairly uneventful this year with four notable exceptions.
  • Though we had to fund a $1million pension shortfall the Council on Finance and Administration did as excellent job of holding every one's feet to the fire and actually decreasing the budget for 2011 which means apportionments will remain about the same.
  • Bishop Reuben Job who ordained me was present and I was able to speak to him personally.
  • Mathew German, who is one of my former youth was certified as a candidate for ministry.
  • Pastor Dave Retired.
My retreat started at the Soul of the prairie retreat center. Was my home for a week.


  • I did a tremendous amount of reading there
  • I used a labyrinth regularly
  • I spent a lot of time in prayer and reflection
  • I practiced the discipline of "Holy Rest"



My second week of retreat was spent at this cabin in Fort Collins.  
  • I went out to the Pudre Canyon to read and pray
  • I spent a day at a lake in prayer and reflection
  • I roughed out an essay describing my insights on prayer
  • I enjoyed walking a lot





Vacation started with a visit to Cheyenne Wy, before we made our way to Jackson.
We are pretty easy to entertain  we:
  • We accidentally  happened upon a pow wow on our way and got to see the grand entrance with all the tribes in full traditional regalia.  it was beautiful.
  • Enjoyed the views of the Tetons and Yellowstone
  • Loved seeing animals.  Grizzly and Black bear were the most exciting, but also moose, hundreds of elk and hundreds of buffalo,  eagles, pelicans,  prong horn, and much more.
  • I loved the geothermal features like Old Faithful.  Just fascinating!
  • A production of Annie Get Your Gun
  • Snake river float trip.
  • A visit with former professors and friends from Westmar at their South Dakota church and lunch with them at "Crazy Horse" (the sculpture) where we were privy to see 16 tons of granite blasted away from the mountain on the 4th of July.
All in all it was wonderful- the weather, the views,  unexpected opportunities around every corner and very refreshing.  See you soon.
tp

No comments:

Post a Comment