Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The New Back Fence??

I joined Facebook this weekend.  (I can prove it- click here!)  I have had fun connecting with almost 40 people ranging from church members, to youth, to the District superintendent, to youth and adults from Bettendorf.  It has been a real joy. (And I can understand how it could become addicting to some.  I don't think I'll have that problem, though.) 

 

For non-facebookersFacebook is a "Social networking site."  That is- one signs up for a free page, puts a little information on it to get it started and looks for a friend.  It is not very hard to find someone that you know in "RL"  (real life)  and once you find someone you can see their friends (some of whom you will probably know)  ask them to be online friends, and word will begin to get around.  What do you do? Almost anything and almost nothing.  Anything from "poking" a friend (just what it sounds like)  to taking on line poles, to telling friends what you are doing right now.

 

I have been thinking about Facebook and other Social networking sites one is tempted to believe what the promoters say.  These are the new  cyber "back fences."  After all I have "talked" more to some of these people in the last 3 days than I have in the last year and a half.   

 

On the other hand  I have to wonder how authentic it is.  I have seen a few lectionary discussion groups.  I have received a request from a friend to visit about his faith (face to face).  I have seen a lot of silliness.  But I haven't seen much honest sharing.  I have rarely seen authentic angst or joy.  Maybe that it why it is FACE book and not HEART or SOUL book?  Of course I have only been on for a few days.  This is just my first impression.  But I think most of what happens is more on the level of "acquaintances" rather than "friends."  In that sense there it is not much different than many letters, phone calls or birthday cards.  For that matter is it really that different than many of our so called friendships?  And is it any different than the coffee hour on Sunday morning?

 

Thinking pastorally, though.  What kinds of possibilities does it have?

--Would people post prayer concerns on the site?

--Would someone feel I was more "accessible" because they see me online?

--Would anyone prefer to go to the facebook page, rather than the church web site to get ministry information?

-- Would anyone enter into a discussion about scripture or the sermon or anything substantive on the site? (One of the advantages over a web site is the dialogue that is possible.)

-- Would the youth use a facebook page for youth group information and discussion?

-- Would that be encouraging something that parents are trying to discourage? (I created a Reinbeck Youth page.  So far 2 adults and a college student have signed up for that page.)

-- Face book is about 6 years old.  Is it already outdated technology and we should be "twittering" or something?

-- If it gets one person's attention isn't it worth doing?

--What can be done that would attract people. (Like I posted a poll tonight asking about whether they gave up anything for Lent.)

 

For now I think I will continue to enjoy connecting with friends.  And I will continue to consider the possible ministry implications and opportunities for Face book.  

-- I am watching the web site to see if any more people join the youth page.

-- I am watching to see if anyone besides me takes the survey.

-- I think I will post the weekly e-news on the face book notes page.

-- I will continue to post youth events on the youth page.

--Whether we will create a church page remains to be seen.

-- If one or two people find that to be a better way to communicate we will probably do it- at least for a while.

--And of course, this will be automatically posted on facebook

 

I need your feedback.  What do you think?  I assume if you are reading this blog you are one of our members or friends who are friendly to technology.  Do you honestly see a place for Facebook in ministry?  What would you like to see?

 

tp

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment